New York is one of the world’s undisputed bicycle hotspots. Millions of people rely on bicycles every day to safely transport them to their homes, offices, and other locations.
Yet while most of each year’s approximately 164 million bicycle trips take place safely, riding a bicycle is far from risk-free.
In fact, thousands of people are injured in NYC and Long Island cycling accidents every year.
If you are the victim of a bicycle accident, then you have an obligation to stand up for your rights and receive compensation for your losses.
To help you recover damages after a New York bicycle accident lawyers—experienced in that specific area—can work with you to develop your claims, collect evidence, and maximize your compensation.
Reach out to us today to learn about how we can assist you.
What Causes Bike Accidents?
Many factors can cause bicycle accidents. Several examples include:
- Speeding—Excessive speed is one of the most common causes of a cycling accident. Speeding drivers have less time as they approach and respond to cyclists. Cars also need more space to come to a stop.
- Weather—Everyone has had the unpleasant experience of driving into the setting sun. Rain, snow, ice, and wind also contribute to accidents by decreasing visibility and the vehicle’s (and bicycle’s) ability to maneuver.
- Aggressive behavior—Out of control drivers can get “road rage” toward cyclists or feel upset that cyclists are in “their” space, leading to terrible results.
- Vehicle blind spots—Although many newer vehicles have cameras and sensors that attempt to keep the driver informed of their surroundings, they can still have large blind spots. Furthermore, drivers often have no way of hearing cyclists amid the noisy background of the city.
- Construction zones—Construction zones often have rough or incomplete road surfaces and heavy equipment that blocks some or all of the roadway. At other times, detour paths can introduce new and unfamiliar hazards that trip up drivers and cyclists.
These are just a few potential causes of bicycle accidents. Almost all accidents result from an interplay of several of these factors.
Because so many factors can be at play in one accident, a Long Island bicycle accident lawyer can be invaluable for collecting evidence and piecing together the full story.
What Are Some Common Bicycle Accident Scenarios?
Some bicycle accidents are more common than others. Here are a few common scenarios that we see the most.
#1 – Side Swipes
In New York, bicyclists must generally ride on the street rather than the sidewalks. As a result, they are constantly in very close proximity to vehicles, which can lead to sideswiping.
Sideswipes often occur when a vehicle fails to give the bicyclist enough room to pass. This can lead to bicyclists being struck by the vehicle’s side-view mirrors or by items sticking out of the vehicle’s window.
#2 – Left/Right Crosses
Left cross and right cross accidents refer to a situation where a motorist crosses in front of a cyclist at an intersection or roadway.
When this happens, it’s simply impossible for the cyclist to avoid hitting the vehicle. Left cross accidents are more common than right crosses, even though vehicles drive on the right side of the road.
In fact, left cross accidents are so dangerous that the New York City Department of Transportation launched a special study to address it.
#3 – Failure to Yield
Under New York law, drivers must grant cyclists the same privileges and rights as other vehicles. Despite that, stressed and busy motorists recklessly fail to give cyclists the right-of-way.
Common locations involving failure to yield accidents include interactions and roundabouts.
#4 – Rear-End Collisions
Whether because of distracted driving or speeding, motorists regularly rear-end cyclists. The impact usually pushes the cyclist forward, throwing them off of their bike.
These kinds of accidents are often severe and can be fatal. In many situations, the cyclist can be run over by the car or fall back and tumble over the car.
You Deserve Nothing Less Than the Best to Defend Your Rights
Having the right attorney can make all the difference in your case. When hiring an attorney, it’s vital that you only consider New York bicycle accident lawyers.
These kinds of attorneys are familiar with the common patterns of fact in bicycle cases. They also know what evidence to look for and how to collect it.
Finally, they have experience negotiating with the negligent party and insurance companies.
Despite these obvious advantages, bike accidents are not handled by many law firms. But we’re not just any other law firm.
At the Law Offices of Theodore A. Naima, we have been helping cyclists who have been the victims of reckless drivers and careless pedestrians for over 20 years.